Re: [SLUG] (now) File Systems

From: Res03q8w@gte.net
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 13:07:20 EDT

On Saturday 11 September 2004 09:39 am, Robin "Roblimo" Miller wrote:
> >Typically. I've found both Ext3 and ReiserFS are very conservative and
> >respected in this regard. Unfortunately, because the internal structure
> >of ReiserFS changes by design, and I have caught at least one
> >distributor *COUGH*Mandrake*COUGH* not bothering to make sure the kernel
> >and user-space recovery tools match, I don't trust ReiserFS. If
> >ReiserFS drops out and requires an off-line repair, I immediately back
> >it up "raw" (dd) _before_ attempting to run those tools. This is in
> >addition to researching the _exact_ ReiserFS version in the kernel and
> >verify the user-space tools are 100% compatible.
>
> One note re Reiser vs. EXT3: According to my company's sysadmins, if a
> ReiserFS partition suffers a physical hard drive failure, it is
> essentially unrecoverable, while you can recover some or most data from
> an EXT3 partition that has bad blocks.
> - Robin

Robin if something happened to my client information harddrive which is
ReiserFS the first thing I would not be doing is trying to recover it my
self. I will blow the 1k-5k on Drivesavers If they can recover the data
from laptop hd that was flatten by a semi they will recover what ever i need
off of that. While 100% percent recovery is not promised they have there
recovery average in the high 90s
but that is just me....