[SLUG] Re: OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:51:29 EDT

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 07:25, Jeff wrote:
> And don't overlook the extremely paranoid users that will not update because
> "I don't want MS poking around in my PC". I find it funny that they think MS
> isn't already poking around in their PC.

As Sun's McNealy said regarding privacy, "you lost it a long time ago,
get over it." God knows with my name, I woke up to it the first time I
was pulled over with an outstanding arrest tagged to my license plate.
It would not be the first, of various identity thefts of my name.

> Or the fact that it doesn't bother them in the least when you find a dozen
> keyloggers and trojans on their box, and they still refuse to update.

The problem is that updates do not address this. Win32 continues to be
a hack of _false_security_ initiatives. Whenever compatibility and
Win32 security clash, compatibility wins out, even with SP2. It's only
when compatibility issues are minor that they implement Win32 proper --
and that is _rarely_. Everything else that occurs with Win32 because of
the massive and self-defeating "integration" of Windows, largely built
on hacking NT.

If Microsoft was serious about security, NT 5.1 (XP/2003) would have
_never_ been released as it was. But they have. And they are now
biting the big one.

To make matters worse, Microsoft has quelched their own security chief.
Once again, the application and tool developers fail to deliver on .NET,
and the OS suffers as a result. No Windows version was _ever_ designed
for the Internet. Not my words, but the words of that same,
aforementioned security chief.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/24/HNunderattack_1.html

Unfortunately no one at Microsoft cares if it breaks compatibility. And
Microsoft doesn't write new code if it ain't gonna sell. They learned
that long ago with pure Win32.

> As long as they think that MS isn't looking at their files, they feel
> safe.

They have been looking at your files for years now.

> I have never understood why these people will continually buy
> (or pirate) MS products if they distrust MS so much.

Because they fail to see it is they, the consumer, who is the problem.
No one wants to take responsibility for their product selections or
reliance.

You _can_ run Windows and keep yourself Hostageware free. I have
proliferated this continually in various LUGs, often to the dislike of
select people with their own agendas.

God knows I've been at one company where a Microsoft audit was triggered
because we were virtually running no Hostageware, but Windows was still
our primary desktop platform. Once I discovered I wasn't alone in the
semiconductor industry, an industry with massive Linux and Freedomware
adoption, we received a prompt apology for the accusations en masse (one
law firm didn't do their homework).

But they still said prepare for an audit anyway. We were clean, so I
didn't have problem with it.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community