Re: [SLUG] RAID with External FireWire - IDE Drives

From: Austin Theen (austin@austintheen.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 10:02:54 EDT

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 02:49 -0500, Brice Burgess wrote:
> In an effort to keep things simple, here's an overview of what I
> envision doing:
>
> ----
> I'm planning to build an aluminum chasis to hold 4 3.5 in IDE 120GB hard
> drives. The drives will be connected to 2 IEEE 1394b bridgeboards, and
> then to a 1394b controller card inside a Linux box. I will then use
> Linux Software RAID5 to create a single 360GB disk out of the 4 drives.
> ----

I just built a very nice SATA raid cage for a client. It looked to be
designed for both internal and external use, it would only require an
external molex connector to power the drive cage (or sata power
connectors it has both). I threw 2x 200gb SATA drives and mirrored them
with using linux software raid tools.

> With that said.. I know there's a lot of potential problems. Can mdadm
> handle drives over a 1394b link? Do the drives need to be connected to
> seperate host adapters? etc. etc.

Performance wise, it's a good idea to have each drive on it's own
seperate channel, you'll get less contention between drives. I used
webmin to create the raid set with mdmtools and it recognized my
external firewire device (I'm using as a backup drive). So I'd say it's
good bet it'll work.

I've had good experience with software raid on linux. It's much improved
in the 2.6 kernel and I'd say it's about on par with other big unices.
It's not very good compared to a real intelligent raid controller like a
PERC 4/di or Adaptec's 2110S. But not everyone can afford a $500
controller or scsi sca drives.

> Has anyone dealt with this situation, or have better ideas about
> building a cheap DIY external RAID system under Linux?

The whole setup cost around $400 including drives. So I think it's
pretty inexpensive.

linkage..

Addonnics 4SA 4 bay SATA Drive cage. (Fits in 3 5 1/4 internal bays)
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3450054

Austin Theen

--
Public key ID: 8EB18AD6