Re: [SLUG] Re: RAID with External FireWire - IDE Drives

From: Austin Theen (austin@austintheen.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 13:01:46 EDT

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 12:10 -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> > I threw 2x 200gb SATA drives and mirrored them with using linux software
> > raid tools. ...
> > It's not very good compared to a real intelligent raid controller like a
> > PERC 4/di or Adaptec's 2110S. But not everyone can afford a $500
> > controller or scsi sca drives. ...
> > The whole setup cost around $400 including drives. So I think it's
> > pretty inexpensive.
>
> Add $130 more and you could use a "real intelligent raid controller"
> like the 3Ware Escalade 8006-2.

I was going to spec a 3ware, but anything with more than 4 ports pretty
much requires a PCI-X slot. Which is not available on my server. I spent
a good 3 days looking for a suitable 4 port SATA controller that had
good linux drivers in a PCI 2.2 / 2.3 card. There just aren't any.

> > linkage..
> > Addonnics 4SA 4 bay SATA Drive cage. (Fits in 3 5 1/4 internal bays)
> > http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3450054
>
> There are also (3) bay SATA drive cages that fit in (2) 5.25" bays.
> Such (2) 5.25" bay enclosures (with a self-contained power supply) may
> be easier to find. And then there are true (2) 3.5" enclosures that are
> quite small on their own.

got any links? I've never seen 3 drive cages. Might be useful.

> [ There are also (5) bay SATA drive cages that fit in (3) 5.25" bays for
> under $150 from Enlight I believe. ]

I thought those were for the ultra 320 scsi drives? Did enlight finally
make SATA cages?

Supermicro also has some, but they are very expensive and pretty much
designed to work in their own cases.

Austin