[SLUG] RE: RAID with External FireWire - IDE Drives

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 23:26:55 EDT

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 22:48, Ken Elliott wrote:
> Two thumbs up on the Excalade card. I'm running a pair of SATA 120 GB
> drives and needed no drivers.

As with any intelligent RAID card, you should match the versions of the
firmware, driver and user-space tools. But for the most part, because
3Ware's drivers are GPL and they pro-actively get them included in the
kernel, they are updated rather quickly so there is typically not an
issue.

I'm in the middle of writing a FAQ which shows the various 3Ware
firmware, driver and 3DM releases.

> The card was a breeze to set up. I did the old yank-the-power-cord on the
> drives and the server kept running just fine, thank you.

I like the fact that I can move drives between different cards, even
different series -- as long as it is at least a 6000 series or later.

> I chose it because the card lets me mirror the swap partition, and provided
> a low-cost, highly reliable solution for my lightly loaded server.

I'm using a variety of 2, 4, 8 and even 12 channel arrays for a variety
of applications.

> If _I_ can get it to work, any of you guys can....<grin>

3Ware makes life simple.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community