[SLUG] New Distro - Ubuntu Linux

From: Wade S Grant (sqdnguns@sqdnguns.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 23:31:53 EDT

Greetings All:

A new distro is out that has peaked my interest. I am in the process of
downloading it now and give it a whirl. Here is some info about it and
some links. I have never used Debian so this should be interesting......

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available
with both community and professional support. The Ubuntu community is
built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software
should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable
by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that
people should have the freedom to customize and alter their software in
whatever way they see fit.

      * Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee
        for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work
        available to everyone on the same Free terms.
      * Ubuntu includes the very best in translations and accessibility
        infrastructure that the Free Software community has to offer, to
        make Ubuntu usable by as many people as possible.
      * Ubuntu is shipped in stable and regular release cycles; a new
        release will be shipped every six months. You can use the
        current stable release or the current development release. A
        release will be supported for 18 months.
      * Is entirely committed to the principles of open source software
        development; we encourage people to use open source software,
        improve it and pass it on.
Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu
release supports Intel x86 (IBM-compatible PC), AMD64 (Hammer) and
PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.

Ubuntu includes more than 1000 pieces of software, starting with the
Linux kernel version 2.6 and Gnome 2.8, and covering every standard
desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to
internet access applications, web server software, email software,
programming languages and tools and of course several games.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

http://lwn.net/Articles/102248/

They will send you free CD's if you wish......

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

--
                              Wade S Grant
                             USMC, Retired