Re: [SLUG] Null modem and phone cord

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 21:42:00 EDT

> >> YES, no telephone company connection is needed. Just a `pedistal
> cord".
>
> What's a pedistal cord? Google shows nothing.
>
> Since his question was:
> >>I'd like to know if it's possible to use a regular phone cord
>
> Are you really saying 'no', but no telephone connection is needed? Or
are
> you saying a conventional cord will work?
>

> Ken Elliott

I would bet serious Jamaican Dollars (of which I still have literally
Hundreds!!)**
that "pedestal" is in fact spelled "pedestal" so that a Google search on
the word "pedistal" is doomed to failure. Nonetheless I too remain
mystified and baffled at what a pedestal cord is. I suspect it some sort
of
direct connection cord from a C.O. environment, based on usage here.

My search found many references to power cords, and to pedestals which
are mounting bases to support something such as a floor fan. Then of
course
the pedestal is also a term from TV camera shading to show the level on
the
waveform monitor where reference black is, next to the sync pulse, which
is
"below black" i.e. a higher level (sync tips are the highest level of
all when xmitted
but are at the bottom of the waveform display.) An obscure use of that
word.

So ... what IS a pedestal cord??

- Bob

** enough for a decent plate of Goat Curry