[SLUG] Passwords on the web

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 23:41:54 EDT

I've got to provide a low-security password scheme for a customer
website. The customer has an xBase database on the site which will
contain usernames and passwords. We aren't going to bother with SSL or
try to avoid having passwords in the clear. The users will be in the
hundreds and will change from week to week. The access being managed
isn't important enough to have a bulletproof system. We're only
restricting access to certain webpages.

Most of the ways I've seen to manage this are too cumbersome. For
example, using .htaccess and .htpasswd files under HTTP would be nearly
impossible, given the above parameters (for example, hundreds of
constantly changing users).

Has anyone seen a good solution, limited to CGI, Python or PHP?

Paul