Re: [SLUG] Passwords on the web

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 13:18:01 EDT

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 23:41, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>>I've got to provide a low-security password scheme for a customer
>>website. The customer has an xBase database on the site which will
>>contain usernames and passwords. We aren't going to bother with SSL
>

> Considering it is fairly transparent, I'm curious why not?
> Performance?
>

>>or try to avoid having passwords in the clear. The users will be in the
>>hundreds and will change from week to week. The access being managed
>>isn't important enough to have a bulletproof system. We're only
>>restricting access to certain webpages.
>>Most of the ways I've seen to manage this are too cumbersome. For
>>example, using .htaccess and .htpasswd files under HTTP would be nearly
>>impossible, given the above parameters (for example, hundreds of
>>constantly changing users).
>>Has anyone seen a good solution, limited to CGI, Python or PHP?
>

> I don't see why you can't use the .htaccess files with at least digest
> authentication. You can manage the .htaccess file externally.
>
> Or you could also tap an external method for authentication directly.
> There are countless packages or vendor solutions to do this.

I suspect they don't want to play for SSL management with a webhost, and
it's possible that they don't have easy access to .htaccess files by way
of (for instance) PERL/CGI scripts (which would be the simple way to
manage .htaccess permissions through a web interface).

Still, a reasonably secure permissions system can be written in either
PERL (for the cgi-bin) or PHP without too much difficulty. Unless
you're planning on running most of the site through the cgi-bin, though,
I'd probably recommend using PHP for this task. PHP actually includes
some tools specifically for designing secure access management into a
website, and they work fairly well.