Re: [SLUG] Windows update

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 16:45:34 EDT

Ken Elliott wrote:
> >>Microsoft was the first to pioneer OEM bundling at large profit margins.
>
> I don't understand your point. The statement was made that Microsoft
> invented "software-as-a-product", and I have to disagree with that.

The term used wasn't "invented", it was "pioneered", and it's true:
Microsoft pioneered the software-as-product _profit_model_ (which
involves basing one's business successfully on the provision of software
as though it were a tangible product for revenue). As a result of that
alteration of the software industry landscape, they've greatly affected
the way intellectual property law is interpreted and applied, et cetera.