Re: [SLUG] Re: Bootable Linux Floppy -- copying is easy, booting in another matter ...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 07:50:42 EDT

Brian,
I can send you a copy of the disk image if you want to see what I am
working with. When it starts it moves all of the operation to RAM disk
( a very good thing with CF cards as they do have a limited RW count)

I have these cards in 64m 128m and 256m sizes.

The present floppy uses syslinux to boot, I was thinking of putting grub
on the card so I could boot more than one system. I tried using FAT16
like on the floppy, but when I moved all of my files over to it the names
were truncated to the 8.3 file format of DOS. I feel better with ext2 fs
if I can move it to that.

I am working with laptops neither of which have functional floppy drives
(oh the wonders of modern laptops, the floppy drive is a afterthought
now)

I had copied the contents of the floppy drive to a directory, I assume that
it is all there, but not sure.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;