Re: [SLUG] Implementing LDAP Newbie! Help please

From: James Marcinek (jmarc1@jemconsult.biz)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 18:19:39 EDT

Yes, I was kindof outlying my overall goal. I think the problem was the shell
script itself. I just found another good website that is giving examples using
the individual migrate_*.pl scripts. I'm taking this piece by piece but my
overall intent is to integrate my my environment into a Single Sign On
authentication scheme. From what I've read the windbindd gives the capability to
 have the Unix/linux systems give some type of integration into a windows
environment. Does anyone know if this includes samba? That would be great if I
could!

Here's the site that I used to help:

http://www.xenos.net/library/ldapauth.html

slug@nks.net wrote:
> I played around with ldap at one point, and there's actually specific
> mailing lists to get help with open-ldap. Googling for openldap mailing
> list gives this: http://www.openldap.org/lists
>
> I'd offer help, but I got lost in your stuff somewhere. If you're trying
> this out, I'd start extremely simply, and make it more complex as you
> go.
>
> Russell
>
> On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 14:18, James Marcinek wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm trying to implement Open-LDAP on my linus system. I've been reading the
> > books/docs and online
> > docs and I'm now to the point where I'm trying to create my .ldif files
using
> > the /usr/share/openldap/migration tools. I keep getting errors trying to run
the
> > migrate_all_offline.sh script. I'll explain my environment before parsing
the
> > errors:
> >
> > I've never used NIS in this environment and I want to also implement samba.
> > Here's some of the slapd.conf file:
> >
> > # $OpenLDAP: pkg/ldap/servers/slapd/slapd.conf,v 1.8.8.7 2001/09/27 20:00:31
> > kurt Exp $
> > #
> > # See slapd.conf(5) for details on configuration options.
> > # This file should NOT be world readable.
> > #
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/kerberosobject.schema
> > include /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
> >
> > I only added the samba.schema to the includes, all else was left alone
> >
> > My O'Reilly book for LDAP (nor any of the other docs I've come across)
doesn't
> > discuss these entries (can anyone tell me what to use them for):
> >
> > # Load dynamic backend modules:
> > # modulepath /usr/sbin/openldap
> > # moduleload back_ldap.la
> > # moduleload back_ldbm.la
> > # moduleload back_passwd.la
> > # moduleload back_shell.la
> >
> > I created a slapd.pem certificate but wondered if I should wait until I know
> > it's running before I turn this on:
> >
> > #
> > # The next three lines allow use of TLS for connections using a dummy test
> > # certificate, but you should generate a proper certificate by changing to
> > # /usr/share/ssl/certs, running "make slapd.pem", and fixing permissions on
> > # slapd.pem so that the ldap user or group can read it.
> > TLSCertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/slapd.pem
> > TLSCertificateKeyFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/slapd.pem
> > TLSCACertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
> >
> > Now I'm wanting to implement Samba with this and I found a sample slapd.conf
> > file that indicated setting the following. I'm a bit confused about the
> > ou=People entry but I'm assuming this will all be setup by the schema.
However