Re: [SLUG] Stopping autostart of X11

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 08:28:44 EDT

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 02:02:29 -0400 (EDT), Eben King
<eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:20:56 -0400 (EDT), Eben King
>

> > <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> > > /etc/rc.d/(init.d/)?dm and make it non-executable, or maybe there's a link
> > > to it in rc3.d . If you find out its filename ("foo" for
> > > /etc/rc.d/(init.d/)foo), then you can try "chkconfig --del foo".
> > >
> > > You can always get to a console login even if X starts; ctrl-alt-F[1-6],
> > > but that probably isn't sufficient. :-)
> >
> > In RH it is a level 5 respawn that I always commented out. I do recall that was
> > somewhere else on SuSA.
> >
> > If I can just figure out where it is and comment it out. I like to log
> > in at the cmd
> > line and then do a startx if I need the gui.
>
> On my laptop (SuSE 9.1), /etc/inittab has
>
> id:5:initdefault
>
> Is yours different? Change that 5 to a 3 and Robert's your father's
> brother.

That killed it! you are truelly a gentilman and a scholar. I have got so
used to the RH stuff and I have only changed that once, I had to reload
the system, as something happened when I tried to format a CF card, and
the whole thing went south. Anyhow I will note that somewhere for future
reference.

In the RH inittab it was a tty respawn that did it. All you did was comment it
out and that stopped it.

When I power my notebook up I like it to come up to a cmd promt that way if
I have stepped away and someone comes up on it, to most people it looks so
alien that they just press on, whereas if it has a GUI screen they may stop and
try to log in. Also when the login comes up I will log right in
without thinking and
a lot of times I may want to do cmd line stuff, or just leave it at that state.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;