Re: [SLUG] Router

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 14:47:43 EDT

Joe Brandt wrote:

> We have an exisiting Lan here at home. We use a Linksys wireless
> router to allow several computers to share our DSL. I have a couple
> SOB's (slow old box) and am thinking of turning one into a dedicated
> security box. Where in the chain would I place it? My guess is
> between the modem and Linksys. How would this affect the Linksys?
>
> I did a Google search but since Linksys is a firewall I could not
> think of a query which would bring up answers.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Joe Brandt

The Linksys wireless router should be able to handle your security
issues (from outside attackers). Dig up the user's manual from the
Linksys website, based upon the model number. If you are curious, and
depending upon your router model, you could consider placing the SOB
behind the router and open up the NIC of the SOB to the internet via DMZ
of the router (most routers currently support this config.). This would
allow you to experiment with the SOB, while not compromising your
network connection (making sure that the SOB is working properly before
commiting it to you using it as your 24/7 internet connection).