[SLUG] Re: "ports" v. "packages" distributions -- Overuse of SSE ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 09:55:10 EDT

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 02:49, Robert Snyder wrote:
> I dont see it passing any -O3 commands to the compilier. As I watch it
> go passing by.
> The defualt cflags for Portage when compiling are "-O2 -march=pentium4
> -fomit-frame-pointer" Now I have noticed when using a gui front end like
> porthole that at the bottom they do list additional flags that the
> piticular ports mantainer decided to use extra usually you see thing
> like mmx and sse flags but never seen the -O3

Okay, maybe the package offers SSE support.

That's fine for gaming, but for scientific/engineering, do _not_ use SSE
on a Pentium 3/4! Trust me on this.

> But things are stable and "FEEL" slightly faster. I will emphansize
> "FEEL" because I have no hard proof that it is faster.

If SSE is being liberally used where it shouldn't, which I've seen a few
packages do not, then I don't doubt it.

You should _never_ use SSE for double-precision floating-point on a
Pentium 3/4 when you need accuracy. It's lossy and inaccurate by a
significant number of digits.

The P3/4 SSE pipes were designed to be fast, not accurate.
Most people don't know this until they get major error in a calculation.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community