Re: [SLUG] Modern x86 ISAs, Extensions and Platforms -- WAS: Overuse of SSE ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 16:58:40 EDT

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 15:34, Chad Perrin wrote:
> So, the short version is this:
> SSE is an instruction set extension layered over MMX. Gotcha.

In a nutshell, MMX and SSE are extensions.
At first I was going to respond that MMX and SSE are separate.
But AMD treats them all the same, alongside its 3DNow! (which pre-dates
SSE).

MMX started out as a set of "fixes" for the buggy Pentium ALU and
spawned into quite a good set of extensions for image processing, video
and audio streaming.

SSE is basically Intel's answer to 3DNow!, and was later augmented to
jolt some life back into the, now, 11-year old Pentium Pro design from
which _all_ current Intel IA-32/32e processors hold their lineage to.

> Much of the rest of what you'd said was already in the back of my brain
> somewhere, but I'd never run across SSE before, as far as I recall.

It was introduced with the Pentium 3, along with a dedicated pipe for
it. The Pentium 4 simply adds another, along with major staging changes
(largely so it scales to 5GHz).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community