Re: [SLUG] RAID 1 to RAID5 with raidreconf

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 14:51:09 EDT

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 01:41 pm, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> I have a SCSI system that boots from /dev/md0 via initrd. When following
> the raidreconf documentation on shutting /dev/md0:
>
> raidstop /dev/md0
>
> I lose the ability to run the following:
>
> raidreconf -o oldraidtab -n newraidtab -m /dev/md0
>
> I've tried to boot with a sysadmin rescue CD with /dev/md0 not running, but
> it says something about "no available level 1 drivers", but /proc/mdstat
> reveals it's aware of the personalities of RAID 1 and RAID 5.
>
> How should I approach this?
>
> /mario

Stop messing with RAID! : )

Well joking aside, it might be more reliable and time efficient to just
rebuild it fresh as RAID 5, than reconfiguring. (Obvioulsy you have already
backed up the data.) As the author noted "However: it is very likely that
there are serious bugs that will destroy your data, possibly even on disks
not related directly to the array you are re-configuring."

Google reveals that a number of people are having problems reconfiguring on
both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

So instead of loosing time trying to get that to work you could have it up and
running after a complete rebuild.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.