Re: [SLUG] RAID 1 to RAID5 with raidreconf

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 14:28:41 EDT

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 02:16 pm, Chad Perrin wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 October 2004 01:46 pm, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> >>I was trying to see if anybody here had any success or failure. I
> >> realize the success and achievements of people online. I've read some
> >> of the original author's posts as well. I'm about to jump on raid.mlist
> >> or something. I forget what the newsgroup/list was.
> >>
> >>I could try what you mentioned, but I'd have to build a RAID5 array with
> >>only two empty disks. That's all I have to spare (four disks total). I
> >>can move the RAID1 stuff to there and then raidhotadd the third (parity)
> >>member. This sounds weird but not impossible. What do you think?
> >
> > I seem to remember that you need three disks to do a raid 5. But it's
> > been a while...
> >
> > My suggestion was to erase them and start clean. Are you saying you don't
> > have any backup, and so you are trying to get around that?
> >
> > If that's the case, I'd do this:
> >
> > Format one drive and use it as backup. Copy all data onto it.
> > Then reformat the remaining three as RAID 5, copy data back from backup.
> > Finally remake backup drive as a hot spare, or whatever you have in mind.
>
> I think he was saying he only has three drives.

He says "(four disks total)"

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.