Re: [SLUG] RAID 1 to RAID5 with raidreconf

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 17:43:35 EDT

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 04:07 pm, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 October 2004 15:29, steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 October 2004 03:06 pm, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> > > Currently, there are three disks being used in a RAID1 configuration.
> > > That is, two for mirroring and one for a hot spare. I have purchased a
> > > fourth disk for the purpose of running a RAID5 with a hotspare. Alas,
> > > I've run into some issues with raidreconf not liking, I guess, the fact
> > > that I only have one array for both boot and root (/dev/md0).
> > >
> > > I like your idea, Steve. I do have a full backup, but I've never
> > > tested its disaster recovery capabilities, so I'm a bit nervous.
> > > However, I would have a full backup on the live disk, so that makes it
> > > more appealing.
> >
> > Just remember to have a non RAID drive as the backup!
>
> I thought it was an fdisk'd 0xfd (RAID autodetect) drive as a backup, and
> the md driver handles the relaying of the filesystem (ext3 or otherwise)?
> It's supposed to be a bare disk?

The thing to remember is that your RAID 1 drive may not be accessable when you
got the RAID 5 system running.

To make sure you don't have a problem later, make it a plain ext3 drive. Then
mount it to something like /opt/backup.

> /mario
>
> > > /mario

> > > This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> > > Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> > > posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> > > official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.