Re: [SLUG] Open source Exchange server for linux. (wish I had time for doom3!)

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 10:39:59 EDT

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 09:43, Patrick Grantham wrote:
> Rather than avoid setting up a MS box with exchange server for collaborative
> functionality in MS outlook, what are some recommended email server packages
> for linux? I have studied Open exchange from Suse and I am sure it's a fine
> package. Suggestions on an open source package?
> I thought there was a "open source project for this. I can't seem to find
> it.

There are a lot of "Exchange Replacements" out there, but many are
proprietary -- typically at the server storage end. OpenGroupware.ORG
(OGo) is the most powerful back-end I've ever seen, supporting
everything from Evolution to Palm (i.e., direct access over the network
by a Palm device, no desktop needed), while having an open back-end
using WebDAV. You'll still need a non-free connector to convert WebDAV
to Outlook's proprietary synchronization API, but you have that issue
with any "Exchange Replacement."

Full discussion:
http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2004-March/038122.html

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community