[SLUG] Supporting Linux -- and those you don't have to

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 03:20:42 EDT

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 02:06 am, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:53, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > I use Firefox as my preferred browser and MEPIS as my preferred LiveCD
> > distribution. Of course, I don't really use LiveCDs much, and Debian
> > Testing is what I use for "permanent" installs. I agree, though -- both
> > Firefox and MEPIS are excellent products and well worth supporting.
>
> Since someone else opened the door ... I figured I'd tell my view ...

Good writeup!

> Fedora was just the fallout of what RHL has always been, with a few
> caveats. The biggest one for the name change was the trademark issue
> that is _not_ Red Hat's fault. No other company has let their name be
> copied over and over with no strings attached, and it became an issue
> where the USPTO could declare the name "Red Hat" as "public domain."

Of course it is their own fault, for not understanding what they did.
Stupidity on a subject is usually not much of an acceptable legal defense.
They were ignorant, much like Xerox was, about not defending their name.

Not that I in any way think they got what they deserved or anything, but they
are the ones responsible for their business.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.