Re: [SLUG] 'diff' for binary files

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 17:51:50 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> Suppose I have two (or more) files that are the same size (to the byte),
> but have different checksums. How do I find out where they're different?
> Some formats (e.g. JPEG) support a comment field; if the difference is
> there, it's not signififcant. It would be easier to evaluate a binary
> 'diff' than to subtract the two images or listen to two songs or watch
> two movies and look for differences that way.

   Two different files can be be different yet be the same size,
but would not have the same checksum.

   If it is supposes to be the same image oe song, convert it to a different
format, if you have "ImageMagick" installed, (in LINUX) enter:
"convert Image1.jpg Image1.png" to both then compare the sizes (with no
encapsulated text info) look at both PNG's to see of there is a problem
with one or the other.

   I have never found a checksum checker for LINUX to create or verify a
file's CRC value, like I had in DOS. That I can recall.

--
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC