[SLUG] Helping AutoCAD with Linux

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 17:45:08 EDT

>From AutoCAD Architectural Desktop 2005
***Project Creation and Modification in certain network environments 568101***
"In some network environments, projects cannot be created or modified when
located on the servers. We have found that when the network shares have only
the servers’ local administrator account with full permissions, our tests
failed. If the servers’ local administrator group (which the local
administrator account is a member) had full permissions to the share, our
tests worked."

Ok, so I'm using Samba. The users have been happy up until now that this
piece of software doesn't allow for them to create a Project Navigator
object. The above is apparently the windows circumvention to the issue. I
don't know how I'd do this in Samba. I've tried a myriad of attempts, but
they've failed. The only way it works is if the projects are created under
the root share folder:
/usr/projects

Anything else deeper than that fails. However, if a user makes a project on
his/her desktop and copies it, all is well there too. I don't understand how
best to makes this happen with Samba and Linux. Anybody?

(success...)
drwxrwxrwt 34 root users 4096 Oct 21 16:56 /usr/projects/

(failure...)
drwxrwxr-x 69 root users 4096 Oct 1 10:45 /usr/projects/2003
Projects/

>From /etc/samba/smb.conf...

[projects]
        comment = Client projects and architectural drawings
        path = /usr/projects
        read only = No
# read only = %S
# admin users = @charlie