Re: [SLUG] Dual Boot into Three boot

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 12:21:20 EDT

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:35, Caleb wrote:
> I currently have Xandros 2.5 dual booting with XP. My question pertains
> to installing Fedora 2. I believe that Lilo is the boot loader. Is
> there anything special that I need to do? I have already set up some
> spare room on my drive. I have not however partitioned anything for Fedora.
> Any help would be appreciated.

First off, dual-booting multiple NT or Linux versions takes careful
planning. I like to use a 3rd party boot manager, although you
typically want to reserve space.

There is also an additional issue with kernel 2.6/GRUB disk translation
(distro such as RHCL4.0 aka FC2, Mandrake Linux 10, SuSE Linux 9,
etc...) when dual-booting with NT4SP4 or later. It's limited to systems
with non-Extended Int13h BIOSes, but it is still an issue to watch out
for. Make sure you have a backup of your partition table and a kernel
2.4 bootable CD.

I'd use removable drives. I have never lost data due to partition table
snafus, but that is based on literally 10 years of dealing with NT3.1+
and its overall cockiness. Until Linux installers fully support LDM
(aka "Dynamic Disks"), which have a known record that states the _exact_
disk geometry being used by NT5+, it is still "chance" Linux will
"misguess" the geometry assumed by NT5+.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community