Re: [SLUG] Knoppix CD

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 22:09:39 EDT

On Thursday 28 October 2004 20:46, you wrote:
> Folks,
> I pulled down a Knoppix CD, it runs as a demo, but I also understand that
> it can be installed, I have looked high and low to see how to install it
> but so far no luck.
>
> It is a specialized one done for the amateur radio community, but I under-
> stand that it can be installed to a HD, just can not find the proper way to
> do so. Most of the documentation is in German, and I am sort of lost there.
>
> Anyone familiar with the installation of Knoppix on the good old HD?

There's a script that you can access from the Knoppix web site that handles
the HD install. They had all kinds of disclaimers that as a third party app
it may not work for everybody, and that Knoppix can't guarantee or support
it. I used the script to put Knoppix on my girlfriend's cheapie Acer PC, and
the install took about forty-five minutes. I had to make a few upfront
selections concerning hardware and partitions, etc, then it spent the rest of
the time copying files. I had to do some sysadmin chores afterward: setting
up user accounts, configuring KDE, but that was less than an hour's work.

Nose around the Knoppix.net site. I'm sure that the link to the HD install
script is still in there somewhere. I have a copy someplace around here if
all else fails.