[SLUG] Re: Mounting

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 02:55:06 EST

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 16:05, SOTL wrote:
> Warning message: Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause Severe
> filesystem damage.
> Do you want to continue (y/n)?
> Action aborted by myself by use of No answer. Sorry can not risk the potential
> failure.

You do not run fsck on a r/w mounted filesystem.
You must either mount it read-only, or not at all.

"lsof" is a good utility to find programs with open files.
Going into "init 1" is also a good way to close files on filesystems so
you can mount them read-only.

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 23:25, Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:
> I REALLY hate to say this though, have you tried sticking a
> hard drive with windows on it into the computer, and seeing if windows
> scandisk can work some magic?

Scandisk is a DOS-based, on-line filesystem checker. It constantly runs
into a self-race-condition because DOS _always_ mounts the filesystem
on-line/read-write (there is no off-line/read-only option).

CHKDSK is included with NT (including 2000, XP, 2003) and lets you check
both NTFS and FAT filesystems "off-line" (such as at boot).
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 01:59, Richard Smoot wrote:

Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:
> Scandisk is the last thing you want to do if the data is important to you.

It's not even an option in NT-based Windows, only DOS.
The problem really isn't with Scandisk, but DOS itself.
There is no way to mount read-only or not mount (off-line).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community