Re: [SLUG] Dual Boot into Three boot

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 21:51:18 EST

On Monday 01 November 2004 05:05 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 October 2004 02:36 am, Eben King wrote:
> > > If the Fedora installer asks you, tell it to install _no_ bootloader,
> > > otherwise you'll have two config files (one in Fedora and one in
> > > Xandros), and the one in Xandros will know of it and XP and so will the
> > > one in Fedora.
> >
> > I don't agree with this. Because having it can help you later when you
> > want to look up something.
>
> It would only be accurate if you don't change anything, which for me is
> not accurate.

Well I doubt that someone who's not familiar enough with this subject, will be
adding or changing partitions once he's done installing.

> > You will only have one bootloader in the bootsector anyway
> > so nothing bad comes out of it.
>
> True, but each OS will rewrite the single bootloader in accordance with
> its own config file. After one edit, the files will be out of sync with
> each other.

No they won't, since there's no reason at all to update lilo on the first
install once done. From there on you use Grub, and then we're back to my
point above.

> > Again I recommend you stick with grub. Which would require you to
> > install Fedora last.
>
> I have no comment on grub, having never used it.

Well, the quick one is that you have a config file which is read each time it
boots. Once it knows where your config file is you won't need to rewrite the
boot sector again. Just change the config file and save it.

Then when booting you can go into edit mode and make a change on the fly, like
after you make the wrong entry, and just rebooted into a non booting
configuration. Soo much easier and flexible to work with than lilo. I'm
surprised any distro still does.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.