Re: [SLUG] Gnome/Metacity mouse weirdness

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 12:23:42 EST

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:38:35 -0500, Pete Theisen <petet@acun.com> wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
>
> > OK, I have a newly installed machine here, and the mouse is acting
> > somewhat erratically, sort of a tamed down version of what happens
> > when you select the wrong mouse protocol. Basically, the system is
> > usable, but occasionally the pointer will jump to the edge of the
> > screen, or some phantom clicks will register in a weird location.
>

> Hi Levi!
>
> I had that happen in XP. Turned out that I had both a mouse and touch
> screen driver loaded and my thumb was touching the screen. Disabling the
> touch screen stopped the problem.
>
> Regards,

This is the same sort of thing that happens with XP if you have a active GPS
connected to the serial port at boot time. XP will call it a MS serial mouse and
once you get a screen your mouse pointer will jump all over the screen following
what it thinks is cursor positioning data. I have gone in and killed
the thing but
seems that one of the later patches to XP overrides it and installs the MS mouse
driver again... Arrrghh MS!!!

I have not had that problem with Linux though. (Of course not! it is
much too smart
for such things!! B=] )