Re: [SLUG] SuSE Splash screen

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 18:35:13 EST

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:03:29 -0500, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 23:52, Chuck Hast wrote:
>

> > What I would really like to do is get rid of the SuSE lizard splash screen,
> > maybe I am oldfashion or it brings back bad memories of MS stuff, but
> > I like to see all of the start up stuff that I got so used to with RedHat and
> > other distros, SuSE puts this splash screen on and it sets there until the
> > GUI starts up (which I have fixed because I like it to boot to a cmd prompt
> > first) I would just like to see the plain old B & W screen with all of the stuff
> > scrolling across, anyone who is familiar with SuSE know how to get rid of
> > that horse ugly splash screen?
>
> All the stuff I've seen so far helps you "just see" the messages but one
> of the posts mentioned the kernel option. This is the root of the
> splash screen to my knowledge. You would have to have the kernel
> sources installed, and for SuSE cp /boot/config-kernel-version to
> /usr/src/linux/.config and then change the config file (make
> xconfig,menuconfig). The bootsplash option is under Device Drivers -->
> Graphics support --> Bootsplash configuration. Here's the info from
> that option:
>
> Bootup splash screen (BOOTSPLASH)
>
> This option enables the Linux bootsplash screen. For more
> information on the bootsplash screen have a look at
> http://www.bootsplash.org/.
> If you are unsure, say N
>
> Then do a make and make bzImage and copy that to your /boot dir after
> you backup /boot of course. if you have backed up /boot you could also
> just do a make install and it will put everything where it needs to be.
> One of the guys on this list (Kwan Lowe) wrote a very helpful HowTo that
> I used when I first started toying with recompiling the kernel at
> http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html.

Mike,
Thank you very much. I have go it to where I do not even get a hint of a
splash screen. I grub fire up against a black screen (I like black screens
with letters on them, all of that other stuff just takes up room or cycles some-
where) Then I see it start to boot the system, and from there is just the data
rolling up the screen as the system boots up.

At that point I log in get a command line and either do something there or
start X ( I like to start it up on my own time rather than have it start up when
it boots)

Right now I am working on some amateur radio related stuff and seem to
have that up and running now, took me long enough.