Re: [SLUG] Of permissions and atributes

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 13:27:04 EST

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:03:29 GMT, Backward Thinker
<backwardthinker@juno.com> wrote:

> > Originally when I attempted it I got the usual you do
> > not have permission access barred type message.
> > I went in and chmod'd the file, and tried again, now when
> > I try to access it I get nothing, just a new command prompt.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> > As root I can access it just fine.
>
> strace will tell. maybe it needs to write a file in the cwd...
> maybe it tries to listen on a privileged port. who knows, but
> towards the tail end of the strace output you should see some
> suspicious errors that are a good starting point if you don't
> know the internals of the application.

Daniel,
Ain't this stuff wonderful. It was trying to read a config file and
the config file did not have the permissions for it. So it just
quietly barfed in the background.

Tnx again. Little by little I am learning about all the neat tools
that are available to the user.