RE: [SLUG] Compaq NIC Teaming on Linux

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 18:05:39 EST

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 19:09, Stephen Ames wrote:
> Yeah that's what I am talking about. Teaming, bonding, load balancing,
> etc. In Windows, HP has provided a nice GUI config tool, but I am not
> seeing anything of the sort for Linux.

Stephen,

I have Intel Pro 1000's like Logan does and have used the included Intel
IANS (Intel Advanced Networking Services) tools for load balancing in
the 2.4 kernel as well as the 2.6 kernel bonding module arrangement. If
you're using 9.1 pro you have a 2.6 kernel. Intel told me that for 2.6
their tools would not work and I had to use the kernel bonding. The
only drawback I could see is that the bonding module works on a round
robin basis vs IANS gives you different balancing options see the link
below.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/linux/ans.htm

It also talks of Multi Vendor Teaming if you have at least 1 Intel
Server class card in the set so you could possibly combine it with your
Compaq NIC's......

Problem is that again, it won't work for 2.6. Let me know if you even
need help with this still. There are a few more complications with both
arrangements involving network switches too that I can tell you about if
need be.

Mike Branda Jr.