Re: [SLUG] OT: Steve Wozniak to speak in Ft. Lauderdale

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 18:34:37 EST

On Monday 15 November 2004 05:51 pm, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> > I hate it when that happens.....I've met a lot of my favorite bands and
> > for a while I used to think of exactly what intelligent thing I was
> > going to say.....except all that came out when I got to speak was
> > something dumb.... the more I met, the less star struck I became....not
> > sure if that's a good thing. ;^)
>
> I've met a bunch of luminaries through consulting and the user groups
> (maddog, Linus, ESR, etc..) and a few other celebrities and a few
> politicians. The biggest difference was that Wozniak was a hero of mine
> before I'd ever heard of Linux. My first computing experiences were on
> Apple II machines writing little assembler routines to add numbers. It's
> because of this experience that I went into mathematics and computer
> science versus medicine or journalism or art or law. And I don't mean
> indirectly because of him... I'd read articles about Apple in the early
> 80's, read his essays and listened to his interviews and consciously
> emulated him.
>
> But what really fascinates me is how humble computer folks are (well,
> except for ESR :D). Wozniak spoke to me as if I was an equal; there was
> real enthusiasm in his voice when he asked about our local LUG. He didn't
> rush me even though he'd already been standing for forty minutes. There was
> a very real possibility of disillusionment in meeting an idol but I left
> even more amazed than I arrived.
>
> > Thanks for the update!! it was interesting to read.

That's really nice to see! It's so easy to brush off people, not everyone
takes the time to make you feel welcome.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.