Re: [SLUG] Moving from Red Hat

From: Bleeber (bleeber@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 00:33:51 EST

<disclaimer>
The following is just my opinion.
</disclaimer>

I have tried all of the top ten distros and of those I would have to vote:

1. Debian
    Debian is wonderful. The install is quick and painless. Once
install is complete you just apt-get the packages you want. This
leaves you with a lean mean machine.

2. Slackware
    Slackware is a very close second. Fast! Stable! The only thing
that kinda turned me off was the directory structure (/etc in
particular). Other than that used to be my fav. Would be still if I
wasn't in the process of getting my RHCE and its weird trying to
follow along when things aren't the same.

3. SuSe
    SuSe... I'm hoping flaming isn't allowed in the list! That being
said, Suse is like a secure stable version of Windows. Control panels,
Online Updaters, Pretty Colors :). (Yes other distros have these too
but SuSe really pretties it up.) Any MS user can go to SuSe and have
little to no problems. Since Novell owns SuSe now, it will probably
only get better. Its really the new RedHat so to speak.

-----
Dave West