Re: [SLUG] Moving from Red Hat

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 01:05:45 EST

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:02 am, Al Miller wrote:
> I supported Red Hat for some years (with $ for their distros) until their
> corporate strategy changed. Are there any preferred alternatives from the
> group as far as an alternative is concerned. I hear good things about
> Debian. I enjoy getting my hands 'dirty', which means I don't mind digging
> into the man pages. It's been a long while since I've posted. Work and
> such, but if nothing else, it's a great source of my enjoyment with
> computers and a welcome challenge.
> Al Miller
> Safety Director
> Economy Transport

The slickest of them all has to be the latest SuSE. Slick, slick! Not a single
odd things sticking out really. However, I stopped using SuSE after getting
fedup with the different (from RH) configuration model. Servers I had up on
it did not conform with RH and made certain updates fall behind while that
got fixed. For a non techie desktop user it must be swell though. : )

Mandrake has a pretty good security model for online servers, and is
compatible with RH. But I've discovered some odd beta s/w in it's KDE
(Quanta).

I hate Fedora for it's lack of mp3 support etc, but it's not very hard to add
afterwords. And as RH test bed you get up to date stuff. But now I want some
more excitement in the GUI and I think I'm just being silly but Fedora does
not seem as exciting as it used to be. Could be the fact that it does not
have KDE 3.3 which I'm really sold on right now. : )

Gentoo, Knoppix, MEPIS all have interesting features but currently I'm looking
for 2.6.x, KDE 3.3 and a decent installer that supports as many custom
partitions as I want, does not easily make you format existing partitions and
will work well from the hard disk, with ample prepared packages.

I'll try Debian just because I've not had a pure Debian before. URPMI and YUM
are pretty good and so is apt. (Not sure how they rate next to each other.)

My first distro was Slackware. But then RH came out with RPM and I never went
back.

KDE 3.3 on 2.6 is really FAST! So I'm more looking to see who will deliver
that combo to build on.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.