[SLUG] Re: Captive NTFS, Part II

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 00:15:13 EST

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Ah. This is true.

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't give you many options. Hopefully NTFS6
will _finally_ solve the "removable" issue that has plagued NT. It will
probably require a LDM disk label ("dynamic disk") for the media.

With that said, don't forget you _can_ use NTBACKUP to archive the "full
NTFS meta-data" to a disk file on another filesystems. And there is
always the cross-platform, POSIX 2001 USTAR archive format c/o the "pax"
utility (replaces cpio/tar) that Microsoft has shipped since NT5/2000 --
although I don't know how NT5+'s pax handles storing NTFS ACLs (the
format _can_ certainly handle it).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux