Re: [SLUG] upgrade and configuration help

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 09:05:34 EST

I am going to make the assumption that if you are asking for commercial help
that your Linux knowledge is approximately equivalent to mine. That is you
have knowledge of some installation procedures but not of writing and
compiling programs nor the knowledge of Debian or Gentoo installation.

The easiest and safest way for a person with the above level of knowledge to
up grade is to purchase one of the commercial distributions of which the best
choice for some one in the US currently are either SuSE or Mandrake.

Personally I do not like SuSE because of their YEAS-2 installation program
which if you want to intall and operate as per SuSE standard installation is
the greatest thing since salted popcorn but if you like me desire to do
something slightly different then it is plain installation hell.

The latest Mandrake 10.1 has currently been placed on sale orderable from
Mandrake in France. There I like the single DVD non box disk version for $US
59 as the greatest deal. I do NOT need the installation books. Currently I
have a copy on order which I should have before Xmas with luck. Mandrake has
not started shipping yet so it may be after Xmas before it arrives.

As for as upgrading RH 8.0 I did NOT like RH 8.0 to me 7.3 was much better and
7.2 was even better than that. Point is to upgrade RH you would need to up by
Fedorada which does NOT have any of the quasi commercial programs in it that
Mandrake Commercial does. By quasi commercial I mean programs that Mandrake
provides certain funding to to keep the project afloat. This is sometimes
done by Mandrake to critically needed components when there is no fully open
source available.

If after my receiving my Mandrake 10.1 disk you would like to up grade by it
contact me by the SLUG BB and we will meet at either the Tampa, New Port
Richie, or Dunedin meeting. Dunedin and New Port Richie are much better than
Tampa because of time limitations.

Frank