RE: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

From: jhaydon (jhaydon@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 15:21:38 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: slug@nks.net [mailto:slug@nks.net] On Behalf Of craig@ctrust.com
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 8:45 AM
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

On 18 Nov 2004 at 22:07, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Robin "Roblimo" Miller wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I apologize for not being more than one person.
> >
> <snip>
>
> > you could have searched and/or posted in the Mepis.org help forum.
>
> <snip>
>
> > if you want one-on-one support from Microsoft
>
> <snip>
>
> > a better use of my time to write books, give group presentations
>
> Hi Robin!
>
> Hmm, is there an echo in here? Seems you sent this twice. Excuse me if
> answer only once.
>
> I was unaware of the forum having this information and I will check
this
> out BUT you missed my point. I have served as volunteer IT guy for a
> non-profit for some 10 years and in this capacity I have installed
> Windows from 3.1 through XP, uh, SEVERAL times. Windows setup *is*
point
> and click. Your book title implies or states that MEPIS is also point
> and click. Well, it's not. Even after all the work by bona-fide pros
> last night I still don't have sound!

Pete, you by far rerquire the most hand holding of anyone i
have ever seen. I'm honestly supprised you've gotten it to
work at all. When you brough your laptop in the other night,
you wanted someone to fix your ancient printer for you. If I'm
not mistaken, that's exactly what Mark did for you. You should
be thankful there are people around who are willing to provide
so much help. In many places, and I have done this myself, I
have told people to go read the documentation.

Most of the time, they will say they have read the docs, and
it didn't help them. This is because they looked at the words,
but didn't actually read them. I have shown people the exact
places to look and amazingly enough, the answer is right in
front of them.

> All you need is for someone to make a false advertising case against
you
> over your book title, it will really make your day. If you reply
sweetly
> to all of your emails people will think well of you and probably not
do
> this.

Linux can be point and click for those who are willing to put
forth some effort and follow the instructions and honestly
read the docs. Although I haven't seen robin's book yet, I
know hiw writing style to be good, and his information to be
as correct as possible.

*steps down from soapbox*

> Regards,
>
> Pete

Craig Zeigler
Network Administrator
Caldwell Trust Company
201 Center Rd.
Venice, FL 34285
craig@ctrust.com
http://www.ctrust.com

Pete - This is a waste of time. The fact is that your printer works. My
answer would have been RTFMP (RTF Man Page). This is something you need
to learn if you are going to continue exploring linux. I'll bring some
cheese to the next meeting.

I hate Outlook!

James Haydon
Systems Analyst