Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 17:17:38 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:
>>>I fault him for not replying to the emails,
>

> Perhaps he _is_ replying to his emails. The time of response would depend
> on the ratio of requests to replies per day. Since we don't know how many
> emails he get, it becomes difficult to tell the difference between him
> ignoring you or simply being overwhelmed with email.
>
> Of course, just what kind of response would you assume is reasonable, given
> that his efforts are free? What if he gets tired of all this stuff and
> stops answering all emails? That's not unreasonable, is it?
>
> I'll bet you could send him your request, along with a $300 check and move a
> little higher in the list...

It is precisely for this reason that I got a sign for my office a few
years ago that said "Due to the volume of complaints we have received
regarding our free services, we have chosen to discontinue free
services." After a while, a complete lack of gratitude over what I'm
doing for free just gets on my nerves. A little appreciation goes a
long way, and the way to get special treatment is not to demand it of
someone that doesn't have any contractual obligation to provide it.

--
Chad