Re: [SLUG] Print server

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 09:03:47 EST

On Saturday 20 November 2004 00:59, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Mario Lombardo wrote:
> > I was in a pinch, so I did use Debian. I guess I was thinking more along
> > the lines of what Coyote does for the Linux Router Project (LRP). I was
> > looking for something along the embedded lines. A quick floppy or two...
> > something like that. Anyway, Debian with CUPS?, Samba, SSHd, and Webmin.
> > That's what I did. wooo hoo!
> >
> > /mario
>
> I've never heard of a print server distribution. I think it's such a
> basic set of tasks, but uses large enough packages, that it just never
> occurred to anyone to make a distribution specifically for that purpose
> -- especially since most people would probably base it off either
> Slackware or Debian, and discover very quickly that it's easier to just
> install Slackware or Debian and the needed services. I suppose I could
> be wrong about that, but this is how it looks to me.
>
> --
> Chad

That's what I was thinking when I came up with zeros. Still, a really cool
small CD distro with a floppy for custom config--all configured by webmin.
Just pop it in, and boom, you're up controlling lp's and USB printers. It
doesn't sound to far-fetched from a Linksys router/print server, right?
Hmmm. Maybe I should get on the drawing board. Of course, I'd have to
actually *learn* programming first :)

I think there's a pretty good market out there for this. Print servers,
although very small in size, aren't any less then $50(?). For a long time, I
couldn't find them any less than $100-150. A cheap 486/586 would kick butt,
and the spooling storage would trump any embedded solid-state device. OK,
I'll stop dreaming now.

/mario