RE: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 17:45:29 EST

Pete >>> I dare to demonstrate that it is *not* point and click
Pete >>> and I am some kind of a terrorist?

Certainly not. There's no doubt that for some percentage of users, its not
point-and-click. You just happened to be one of the unlucky ones. But I'm
sure you noticed that Linux folks are quick to defend those who contributed
to the community.

Pete >>> If the Linux community is only for programmers and techies
Pete >>> who don't need any "hand-holding" or rich folks who can
Pete >>> afford to pay a lot for it, well then for heaven's sake,
Pete >>> say so and be done with it.

Its not. The Linux community is filled with many programmers and techies, as
well as those who need hand holding. But it is, for the most part, a
volunteer effort. If the folks you try to help, began to make unreasonable
demands of you, might you be inclined to ignore them? I believe everyone's
point is that it would be a good idea to lower your expectations, and
realize most of the Linux community effort is unpaid, part-time work. None
of them owe you or I a darn thing. We should just be happy that they were
nice enough to contribute thousands of dollars of free software and not
expect anything more of them.

But as I think about it, I suspect your original comments were simply an
expression of your frustration of not being able to get things to work.
It's tough diving into Linux for the first time, but it does get better.
Besides, you end up meeting a rather diverse group of interesting folks.
Besides, everyone will think you're a genius once you get it all working for
nothing...<grin>

Ken Elliott