Re: [SLUG] Shell script calling shell script

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 16:22:57 EST

Backward Thinker wrote:
>>Is there a more-common word/term for it (other than
>>"tic-tac-toe thingie" or "number sign", neither one of which
>>is really a name for it?) It's not technically a "sharp",
>>which is rendered slightly differently (if you want to be
>>technically precise). I suppose some call it a "hash", but
>>that's more of a description than a name for it.
>

> The ones I hear commonly are hash, hash mark, hash symbol, pound,
> pound sign, number, and number sign. Octothorpe is far more
> interesting, though for me the word elicits impressions of some
> eight legged creature...
>
> And yeah, it's not too pendantic to claim that # is not a sharp...
> as b is not a flat, though C#ers might disagree :).

You don't get any disagreement from me. Then again, I'm not a C#
junkie. In fact, the only use I can really see for C# at all is as a
possible replacement (finally!) for Java. I'm getting tired of hearing
everyone and their brother tout Java as "portable code", as if portable
code doesn't exist outside of Java.

I forgot about all that "pound" nonsense.

>>Then again, without some calling it a "hash", one of my all-time
>>favorite programming terms wouldn't exist: "shebang line".
>

> All this talk reminds me of the waka waka bang splat poems. I
> know I've seen one with the shabang.

I love that "waka waka bang splat" poem, but the "SYSTEM HALTED" at the
end needs to be changed to "KERNEL PANIC".

--
Chad