[SLUG] Re: cA0s Linux

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 23:01:31 EST

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 17:12, Meyer, David R wrote:
> I remember reading about someone wanting to move from Red Hat.
> If you like the look and feel of Red Hat, cA0s Linux
> (http://www.centos.org) [Corrected] looks and smells like red
> hat el 3.0 Advanced Server. All the way thorough, I think you'd
> like it.

Just to be technically accurate, Fedora Core 1 (CL3.2) is Red Hat's
current community distributed revision of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.

Despite the name change and endless commentary, there is a 1:1
correspondence from Fedora Core (FC) to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),
just like there was with Red Hat Linux (RHL) before the name change.
Other than the inclusion of installation-time support in the RHL retail
box (now provided in the RHEL WS replacing in "Red Hat Professional
Workstation on the retail shelf), and ISV/hardware certification (which
pretty much died after the introduction of Red Hat's Enterprise line in
2002), it's the same, right down to the release model.

In a nutshell, Fedora Core is the community distributed version. It is
free of the trademark issues, and has all the latest updates, at no
charge (no subscription required to access the Red Hat servers ;-). For
those of us who maintain strict configuration management of Red Hat
distributions, both community and enterprise, it is easy to follow and
accommodate. This includes running mission-critical Oracle, PeopleSoft
and other applications atop of Fedora Core.

Of course, I'm still watching the cAos work from afar. If innovations
are introduced by the group, you can be sure Red Hat will take note and
integrate them. After all, Fedora is even more open to suggestion than
the old Red Hat Linux approach. In fact, what is everyone's take on the
"Cinch" installer? I see cAos uses YUM (like Fedora) for community
distribution, so does it also leverage YUM?

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux