Re: [SLUG] Knoppix CD

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 15:27:50 EST

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:02:09 -0400, Robert Foxworth
<rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> > Folks,
> > I pulled down a Knoppix CD,
> > It is a specialized one done for the amateur radio community,
> > --
> > Chuck Hast
>
> Sa OM ( gots ta talk like one of them there Ham guys, eh?)
> wr u find tt CD ?? Tnx es 73

Bob,
Here is the web site.
http://www.afu-knoppix.de/
hit f2 for instructions to bring it up in english. Also the keyboard
that gets loaded is a german one so the '=' sign is on either the
0 or the - key, can not remember if it was upper or not.

There is quite a load of ham apps ready for launch, and you will find
even more if you go into the knoppix area.

> Bob k2euh
>
> PS it would be interesting to see if it runs on my Dell Optiplex
> units which happily run 3.3 but lock up with 3.4 and 3.6,
> one reason I would like to try it.
>
> also, Does it support APRS??

Yes if you load the AX25 stuff it will ask if you want to start aprsd. I
have not got it up yet as I am trying to make sure the other network
stuff is up and running. Once I have that done, then I will add aprsd.

One of the reasons I like LINUX for the amateur radio stuff is a linux
box can replace and permit many protocols to be used, both old present
and new stuff. I have been active with FADCA for years, one of the
problems that I have always had with the network was that by using
TNC's as network devices you were stuck with one and only one protocol.

We moved the network that FADCA supports to FPAC DOS back about
7 years ago, that gave us a much more reliable network and opened
the door for more ability since the switch function was moved from the
TNC to a computer, but it was DOS based, It still had a lot of limitations,
so now we are moving on to FPAC Linux which really is a full blown
comms stack with of course IP (4 and 6) and in the amateur world there
is your basic digi, then there is the old standby NetRom and it's derivitives
then there is ROSE (of which FPAC is a super set wrapping around the
ROSE piece and giving it much more power in terms of what it can do)
there is also FLEX which is a german protocol in some ways similar to
NetRom (it routes on call signs like NetRom rather than numerical addresses
like IP and ROSE/FPAC so it has to build a full model of the network in
each machine in order to route properly, just like NetRom does).
APRS just runs on top of AX25 just like the NR/ROSE/FLEX stuff so,
all you do is set up some files and start up the AX25 stuff and the other
things you need (aprsd in your case) and you are of and running. I will
have a demo switch running at the tampa hamfest down in palmeto
weekend after next so you can come by an take a look at it if you want.

--
Chuck Hast /kp4djt
To paraphrase my flight instructor;