RE: [SLUG] Re: AutoCAD Clone for Linux - IntelliCAD now in beta

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 22:45:57 EST

[ BTW, wasn't Mr. Arnold a former Autodesk employee? ]

No, he was a civil engineer who started developing AutoCAD extensions for
his own use. His civil engineering firm evolved into DCA software, changed
its name to Softdesk, then was sold to Autodesk. David joined Autodesk as
part of the deal.

>>But what really killed Autodesk's sales of _all_ non-Win32 versions was
when Microsoft gets a stake in something. Until then, you could still
purchase non-Win32 versions. At least the Mac version.

Once they started to change the code base, they fully committed to Win32.
You could still buy the Unix and Mac versions for years. It wasn't a
'Microsoft Thing'.

>>I know several of the distributors, it's not because of lack of sales.

Sorry, but it was. I saw the actual numbers and both Unix and Mac were a
drop in the bucket. They did consider porting the new core, but the cost
outweighed the income by far. Considering how badly they screwed it up,
they didn't have the time or resources. Besides, Unix workstations were
high priced in those days (>$10K typical), and customer wanted NT-based PCs
for the lower cost. I agree that MS has done some arm twisting, but the
business case was clearly there.

Ken Elliott