Re: [SLUG] the golden rule of discussion can go to hell Bryan J smith

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 11:34:52 EST

> Bottom line: Linux is like a sturdy pickup truck with manual windows, a
> straight-six engine, and a manual transmission. It'll start fine on cold
> mornings when other, fancier cars won't, and will drive more or less
> forever with hardly any maintenance. But in return, you are going to
> find that there are no turbochargers or fancy upholstery options
> available for it, and that you have a limited selection of top-end CD
> players that will fit into its dash cutout without some sabre saw work.

Hmm, my car simile would be a little different. It seems to me that
there are actually *more* upholstery/interior options
(GNOME,KDE,E,AfterStep,WindowMaker,(black|flux|open)box,sawfish,metacity,fvwm,flwm,pekwm,...;
and a multitude of themes for each).

And as far as turbocharging goes, I've gotten more performance out of
my Linux PCs than I've been able to squeeze out of a M$box since I was
running The Elder Scrolls on my 486SX.

I always think of a Linux PC as a car from one of those custom shops,
like on Monster Garage, or that show on that channel that used to play
music occasionally. They might have to rip out your AC Delco AM
radio, but if you want a 100-disc changer in the trunk, a supercharger
under the hood, a color of paint you won't find at the factory, and
penguin-shaped headlights, it won't be a problem.