Re: [SLUG] On Line Order # 195735 of 15 Nov 04

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 13:08:42 EST

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 11:29 am, jeff wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 9:45, SOTL wrote:
> > Now cut and past in Open Office, KDE, and a number of other programs
> > works just find AS LONG AS ONE DOES NOT LEAVE THAT PROGRAM but copping
> > words off a web site in to Open Office some tines yes and some times no
> > depending on if Open Office or Konqueror was opened first. There were a
> > number of issues like the cut and past example that make it worth of an
> > upgrade but the biggest issue is a major major issue.
>
> That is strange. Does this mean that klipper isn't working/installed, or
> that you haven't tried it? I haven't used Mandrake since 9.2, but I have
> always used klipper to copy/paste, and it has always worked for me with
> every distro that I have used.
>
> Jeff

It means there are times when cut and past simply refuse to function from/to
Konqueror Browser to/from Open Office in which you can close Open Office,
reopen Open Office and cut and past will work.

This issue was well discussed on this BB 2+ years ago at which time people
said I was craze and guess what it still doesn't work with 9.1 and 9.2. It
may have started working in the 2.6 kernel as I understood the issue it was a
kernel issue but I do not know if that is true or not as I can not install
10.1 to find out.

Note there always some who assumes that if something works in one distribution
is does in another. That is simply not true. Or they assume that because they
possess a superior technical Linux knowledge to 99.9% of the rest of the
world and they can make it work then thus by definition there is no problem.
That again is simply not true.

The issue is that we are discussing very poor quality of a commercial produce.
Not the capabilities or the quality of Linux in general or of teaches.

Face it the quality is simply NOT there if something that did work is now
broken in the latest distribution.

Frank