Re: [SLUG] On Line Order # 195735 of 15 Nov 04

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 13:49:28 EST

From: SOTL
> That is why they manufacture more. There is nothing wrong with 2 DVDs.

I'm talking about boot-time issues.
Thinkpads have buggy, old BIOSes.
In fact, that's largely how the address legacy compatibility.
It's a pretty poor strategy IMHO.

> This is commercial software.

I'm not going to touch that.
Mandrake and the Linux community can reverse engineer everything or solve compatibility issues with products they don't control.

> IBM is one of the major supporters of Linux.

For _services_, not the desktop.
In fact, IBM laid off a lot of their formal Linux laptop support in 2003.
Why? Because IBM can't afford to create their own notebooks.
So they rely on the same Tawainese vendors as everyone else.

HP really stands alone on its R&D in and support of Linux notebooks.
Why? Because engineering consumers are willing to pay, and HP has been their savior on the Linux desktop in prior years.
Ever since the Dell-Linux fiasco.

> Thiszh IBM Thinkpad has had Linux
> install on it for 2 years plus.

Back when IBM had a formal Linux support team for Thinkpad.
It was slashed in 2003.

> Now, I can't upgrade the computer that has
> ran Linux for several years due to shabby intergration.

Is it the first kernel 2.6 distro you've tried on it?

> Sorry if I sound as if I am pissed. I am.

I didn't judge you, just offered some explainations.

> First this cost me money which I don't have.

There are Debian, Fedora, etc...
I've been able to install everything other people say Debian and Fedora doesn't do with 1 command.

> Second it cost me time which I could use to make money with so
> that I may eat.

I personally wouldn't use Linux if it was as frustrating to support as others claim.
I offer advise on this list.
Not because I like to hear myself talk,
but because I experience total Linux bliss.

> Third it simply frustrating to be cheated.

I really like Mandrake the least,
but I don't think you've been cheated.

--
Bryan J. Smith (currently mobile)