Re: [SLUG] On Line Order # 195735 of 15 Nov 04

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 21:53:40 EST

SOTL wrote:

>On Tuesday 30 November 2004 11:20 am, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>

>>2 issues to know:
>>
>>1) the kernel is getting bigger and is to the point that not all drivers
>>can fit on a 2.88MB floppy which El Torito emulates on a CD. Now while
>>most distros use the native El Torito mode with full access, IBM ships very
>>old BIOSes that lack a lot of support.
>>

>That is why they manufacture more. There is nothing wrong with 2 DVDs. This is
>commercial software.

See if what install documention is on the DVD. There can be tricks for
the install.
In the Windows environment it is common to have to read their install
instructions.
Mozilla for Windows wants you ,if you are upgrading, to uninstall the
old copy and
then totally erase all the files left in the old directory.
All the Linux Distros I have worked with had install instructions on the
install media.
In 2 cases I have had to use boot floppys for a successful install.
In both cases floppy ISO's were on the install media.
With SUSE 9.1 Pro I had to make three floppys and there were also module
floppy ISO's.
Windows XP definitly will not install on all PC's that didn't come with it.

                                             Richard Smoot