Re: [SLUG] Re: Slug Newbie here...

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 18:30:40 EST

On 02 Dec 2004 15:25:08 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:
> The choice was just extremely poor.
> Beyond Ms. Jolie, general rule I've always found is to shy away from actresses.
> But men don't, because they think like a man, not a woman.
> You and others opened this door - definitely the _wrong_door_. ;->

Lord Bryan, this entire subthread is rediculus, don't you think?
Sure the comment about Angelina Jolie was silly, but if that's how
someone gets there jollies, so be it.

Also, I'm not sure of the comment "Oh, pssh, this is why there are so
few women in tech orgs." is actually fair. Geeks (in my humble
experience) seem to be polite where it matters. Example: At the St.
Pete meetings, there are frequently a few women. I can't say that
they're treated any differently then guys are. This eems universally
true amoung the geeks I'm familiar with. Women are welcome and pretty
much treated indifferently.

Except perhaps a tendancy amoung guys to not be as mean to them as
they are to other men...

I'm also not sure that given an Angelina-Jolie lookalike were present
at a meeting, it would be treated much differnetly. Perhaps more
initial stares, but after that, nada.

To everything there is an exception, sometimes more. But in general,
most single geeks I know, myself included, are looking for brains, and
arn't very interested in someone until there is a hint of that.

Anyway, this entire argument is stupid. The idea even. Having a big
long thread about a half-serious sarcastic remark....

And, I'm stupid for writing this reply, but, eh, what'dya gonna do?