[SLUG] Re: OT: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 11:46:42 EST

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 10:29, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Debian'll install (and run) on that just fine. Heh.
> I guess it depends on what you're going to do with the box once you get
> it running.

Starting with Red Hat CL4 (Fedora Core 2-4/RHEL 4), Red Hat includes
XFCE as a standard GUI option. Shortly after Fedora Core 2 was
released, Alan Cox boasted he was running Fedora Core 2 on a 225MHz IDT
WinChip2 with 48MB of RAM.

But in a nutshell, memory is far more important than clock. I'd rather
have a 1GHz P3 with 1GB of RAM than a 3.2GHz P4 with 256MB of RAM --
10-fold. Heck, I/O is more important than CPU these days, even on
desktops.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux